- Associate Program Director, Hurley Medical Center Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Program
- Assistant Professor, Hurley Medical Center/Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Amanda Winston MD has been a force for good for many years in the Flint area. As a medical student on the Flint Campus, she helped to start the annual Flintstone Challenge 5K run/walk, which raises money for an education fund that pays for extras for Flint Schools. She then became a well-respected resident physician (and chief resident) at Hurley Medical Center, from which she graduated in 2017 and then joined the teaching faculty.
This busy mother of two manages to keep fit with occasional soccer, running and keeping up with her children and husband, who help to keep her grounded amid a busy workload.
Combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Department of Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Department of Pediatrics and Human Development
- Undergraduate: Bachelor-of-science degree in exercise health science, Alma College, Alma, Mich.
- Medical School: Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
- Residency: Combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Residency, Hurley Medical Center/ Michigan State Univeristy College of Human Medicine, Flint, Mich.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Exercise Health Science Honorary
- Xi Mu Epsilong - National Chemistry Honorary
Scholarly and Performance Improvement/Quality Activity
- Quality Improvement: Padua Score and Braden Scale Correlation for Immobility. Co-Investigators: Adiraj Singh MD, Jenny LaChance MS, CCRC, Scott Kaatz DO, MSc. 2015-2016
- Quality Improvement: C. Difficile Testing – Isolation Bundle Phase I. Co-Investigators: Hind Hadid MD, Kirti Manjrekar MD, Shaheen Sheikh MD, Scott Kaatz DO. 2015-2016
- Research study: Indications for Type of Hysterectomy Performed: A comparison of Total Abdominal, Vaginal, Laparoscopic-Assisted Vaginal, and Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. MSU-CHM-Flint Advisors: Saba Baig MD, Jenny LaChance MS. 2011-2012
- Case Study: An Unusual Axillary Origin of the Radial Artery. MSU-CHM-Lansing Advisor: Dr. John Fitzsimmons. 2009-2010
- Senior Thesis: The Effects of Aquatic Exercise on Balance in the Elderly Population. Alma College Advisor: Robyn Anderson PhD
- Editorial publication: A New Year’s Challenge. Genesee County Medical Society Bulletin, Vol 106, No 23. January 2016
- Editorial publication: In the Eyes of the Patient.Genesee County Medical Society Bulletin, Vol 107, No 24. February 2016
- Case Report publication: Air Duster abuse causing rapid airway compromise. Authors: Amanda Winston, Abed Kanzy, Ghassan Bachuwa. BMJ Case Rep 2015. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-207566
Regional & National Presentations (recent only)
- Primary, Bilateral Breast Abscesses Secondary to Actinomyces Neuii in an Otherwise Healthy Male - A Case Report. Abstract and Oral Presentation by Dr. Adiraj Singh: 19th Annual MSU FAME Community Research Forum, Flint, Mich. May 3, 2017. Co Authors: Adiraj Singh MD, Amanda Winston MD, Vijay Naraparaju MD. Awarded: 1st Place Overall Oral Presentation, IM/Peds Best Case
- Padua Score and Braden Scale Correlation for Immobility. Abstract and Poster Presentation: Society of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting 2016, San Diego, Calif. March 7, 2016. Co-Investigators: Adiraj Singh MD, Jenny LaChance MS CCRC, Scott Kaatz DO MSc.
- Hiccups as a sign of Serious Neurologic Disease. Abstract and Oral Presentation: 17th Annual MSU FAME Research Forum, Flint, Mich. May 6, 2015. Co-Authors: Rubin Raju MD, Junaid Farooq MD, Ahmad Kaddurah MD, Ranjan Monga MD, Aladdin Rahman MD. Awarded: 3rd Place Overall Oral Presentation.
- C. Difficile Testing- Isolation Bundle Phase I. Abstract and Oral Presentation by Hind Hadid MD: 17th Annual MSU FAME Research Forum, Flint, Mich. May 6, 2015. Co-Authors: Amanda Winston MD, Kirti Manjrekar MD, Shaheen Sheikh MD, Scott Kaatz DO.
- When Grapefruit is Less than Healthy. Abstract and Poster Presentation: 17th Annual MSU FAME Research Forum, Flint, Mich. May 6, 2015. Authors: Gwendolyn Reyes MD, Amanda Winston MD, Mahesh Sharman MD.
Community Service (recent only)
- Volunteer Physician, Special Olympics Sports Physicals, Elmer A Knopf Learning Center, Flint, Mich. 2015, 2012
- Volunteer Physician, Free Teen Sports Physicals, Hamilton Community Clinic, Northpointe, Flint, Mich. 2015
- Medical Tent Volunteer Physician, The CRIM Fesival of Races, Flint, Mich. 2014
- Medical Tent Volunteer Physician, The Flintstone Challenge 5K Run/Walk. 2014
- Co-Chair: Flintstone Challenge 5K Run/Walk (fund-raiser for Flint Classroom Support Fund). 2012-2013
Professional Memberships & Affiliations (current only)
- Genesee County Medical Society (board member, alternate delegate to Michigan State Medical Society, delegate at the MSMS House of Delegates 2014 and 2015)
- American Medical Association
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Phi Beta Kappa, national honorary
- Alphi Phi Omega, service fraternity, Lifetime Alumni status
- Phi Sigma Sigma, social sorority, Lifetime Alumni status