Combined Internal Medicine/ Pediatrics, Third-Year Resident
I am originally from the beautiful country of Zambia.
I was fortunate to complete my medical school at The Russian National Research Medical University, in Moscow, Russia.
What brought you here to the U.S. and to Michigan?
I came to the U.S. 4 years ago to achieve my dream goal of getting into a combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Residency. I was initially in the Windy City of Chicago, then moved to Sacramento, Calif., where I got married, and then finally to Hurley, here in Michigan!
Why did you choose your specialty?
I chose combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics for several reasons. My top 5 include:
1. Continuity of care: I get the awesome opportunity of witnessing and being part of my patients’ different milestones throughout their lives
2. I love the fact that I get to take care of children and adults with transitional diseases like sickle cell, cystic fibrosis and diabetes.
3. Massive knowledge base and extensive exposure.
4. I also love the fact that I can take the strengths of Pediatrics to Internal Medicine and vice versa.
5. But my favorite reason is, of course, the preventive aspect of Med/Peds. I get to improve the quality of health for both my pediatric and adult patients.
Family fun facts:
My beautiful wife, Ludmila, is my only immediate family here in the U.S. We live in Grand Blanc, which is about 15-20 mins from the hospital, depending on how fast you drive. My mother and the rest of my siblings (5 brothers and 6 sisters) are back in my home country.
When you’re not working, what do you do for fun?
I love spending time with my wife. We love to walk around in the park and drive around Michigan, visiting friends.
What do you love about Hurley and the Flint area?
- Hurley fights for the community – we’re known in the community and the country for that.
- It’s a relatively small- to medium-sized program – everyone knows everyone; it’s easy to fit in.
- Great opportunities for research
- Excellent exposure to pathology
- 100% board-pass rate
What inspires you?
I’m inspired by the various opportunities available to do good to fellow man.
What was your toughest challenge in achieving your goals - and how did you overcome it?
My toughest challenge was patience and consistency. I learned from my past mistakes to overcome this.
What do you miss most about home - and how do you keep in touch with family and friends there?
My goodness! I miss family reunions, where I would joke around with my brothers and sisters. I also miss Zambian food. I’m daily in touch with siblings through WhatsApp, and I frequently call my mother.
What’s your favorite book?
Honestly, I love the book of Proverbs in the Bible.
What’s your favorite quotation?
Abraham Lincoln once said: Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it and the tree is the real thing.
Top 5 favorite things about Flint & Michigan:
- Beautiful nature around, great place for outdoor activities.
- Excellent eating places.
- We experience all the 4 seasons in this Great Lakes State.
- The people are super nice.
- Relatively quiet area, great for relaxation!
Special talents & hobbies?
I love singing. I love practicing my Spanish, ASL (American Sign Language) and Russian. I enjoy playing soccer and going to the gym.
When you’re cooking, what’s your specialty?
Rice with beans and greens.