- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
- Core Faculty, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Director, Hurley Diabetes Center, Flint, Mich.
- Section Chief, Endocrinology
Dr. Hemant Thawani has been part of internal medicine education at Hurley Medical Center for a few decades and is known for his clear communication style and excellent teaching skills in endocrinology. He continually develops teaching and intuitive skills in medicine with a goal of paying attention to detail but looking beyond the obvious, gently.
- Diabetes and Endocrinology Fellowship: Los Angeles County + University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Internal Medicine Residency: Hurley Medical Center/Michigan State University, Flint, Mich.
- Internal Medicine Internship: Mt. Carmel Mercy Hospital, Detroit, Mich.
- Geriatric Medicine Internship: Oak Forest Hospital, Oak Forest, Ill.
- General Medicine Residency: New Civil Hospital, Surat, India
- Medical School: Government Medical College, Surat, India
- Pre-Medical School: P.T. Science College, Surat, India
- Internal Medicine
- Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Diabetes Education
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Endocrinology
Dr. Thawani has received numerous awards for teaching, clinical research, and mentorship from medical students, resident physicians, and research professionals.
Clinically, Dr. Thawani is interested in diabetes and thyroid disorders, while his research interests range from clinical diabetes care to mindful medicine. Clinical research interests includes:
- Insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease - Undiagnosed diabetes mellitus and risk of cardiovascular events - Bariatric surgery in severely obese - Oral diabetes medications in gestational diabetes mellitus