- Director, Hurley Pediatric Clinical Health Psychology Fellowship Program, Flint, Mich.
- Director, Pediatric Behavioral Health Services, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Associate Director, Pediatric Residency Program
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
- Pediatric Psychologist
So you scored high on your exams, and your clinical skills are shaping up nicely. But how do you talk to kids about … well, about tough topics? Who can guide you and help to build a child’s trust and confidence in you? And who can help kids through trying times?
At Hurley, expert advice and guidance comes from pediatric psychologist Crystal Cederna-Meko, PsyD, a faculty member at Michigan State University, East Lansing, director of the Pediatric Clinical Health Psychology Fellowship, and director of Pediatric Behavioral Services.
Her role as director of the Hurley Pediatric Clinical Health Psychology Fellowship enables her to guide post-doctoral fellows through an enriching educational experience that prepares them for a variety of increasingly demanding psychology roles.
Dr. Cederna-Meko also works extensively with pediatric residents as the associate program diretor of the Pediatric Residency Program, codirector of the Developmental-Behavioral Pediatric Rotation, and as leader of the Pediatric Interviewing and Communication Skills series.
A charismatic, creative and compassionate pediatric psychologist, Dr. Cederna-Meko loves coming to Hurley to watch her patients (and their families) grow strong and healthy. And she cherishes the chance to help learners incorporate the art of medicine into the science of it, develop the capacity to function and thrive within interprofessional settings, and to appreciate the biosocial aspects of child health.
- Bachelor-of-science degree, psychology: Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Mich.
- Master-of-arts degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Doctoral degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Predoctoral internship, clinical psychology: May Institute, Boston, Mass.
- Post-doctoral pediatric psychology fellowship: Michigan State University at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Medical Education
- Health promotion and behavioral change
- Coping with chronic medical conditions
Outside of work, Dr. Cederna-Meko enjoys traveling, photography, and just about anything outdoors (especially Michigan’s Great Lakes). Since she studied In Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (aka “the UP”) and still likes to vacation there, she’s sort of an honorary Yooper, even though she lives “down state” and might be considered a “troll” (a creature that, in fairy tales, lives beneath a bridge: in this case, the troll lives south of Michigan’s Mackinac Bridge, which connects its two peninsulas and gives a good view of Michigan’s famous Mackinac Island). Dr. Cederna-Meko also loves spending time with her family, who is scattered throughout Michigan, as well as across the United States.
- Favorite musical group: Coldplay
- Favorite Great Lake: Lake Superior
- Favorite Great Lakes beach: Little Presque and Wetmore’s Landing (both beaches along the coastline of Lake Superior near Marquette, MI). “Lake Superior is my favorite Great Lake.”
- Favorite food in Flint: It’s a tie between The Crepe Company and Taboon.