- Associate Director, Pediatric Residency Program, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
- Pediatric Psychologist
- Director, Hurley Pediatric Behavioral Health Services
- Primary Supervisor, Pediatric Psychology Postdoctoral Fellows, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
So you scored high on your exams, and your clinical skills are shaping up nicely. But how do you talk to kids about … well, about tough topics? Who can guide you and help to build a child’s trust and confidence in you? And who can help kids through trying times?
At Hurley, expert advice and guidance comes from pediatric psychologist Crystal Cederna-Meko, PsyD, a faculty member at Michigan State University, East Lansing, and a full-time member of Hurley’s Pediatric faculty. She also serves as associate program director of the Pediatric Residency Program. Dr. Cederna-Meko works extensively with pediatric residents as coordinator of the Behavioral-Developmental Rotation and as leader of the Pediatric Communication Skills series. A charismatic, creative and compassionate pediatric psychologist, Dr. Cederna-Meko loves coming to Hurley to watch her patients (and their families) grow strong and healthy. And she cherishes the chance to help pediatricians learn to incorporate the art of medicine into the science of it.
- Bachelor of science degree, psychology: Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Mich.
- Master of science degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Doctoral degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Predoctoral internship, clinical psychology: May Institute, Boston, Mass.
- Post-doctoral pediatric psychology fellowship: Michigan State University at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Anxiety disorders
- Behavior management
- Health promotion
- Behavior change
- Coping with chronic medical conditions.
Outside of work, Dr. Cederna-Meko enjoys traveling, photography, and just about anything outdoors (especially Michigan’s Great Lakes). Since she studied In Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (aka “the UP”) and still likes to vacation there, she’s sort of an honorary Yooper, even though she lives “down state” and might be considered a “troll” (a creature that, in fairy tales, lives beneath a bridge: in this case, the troll lives south of Michigan’s Mackinac Bridge, which connects its two peninsulas and gives a good view of Michigan’s famous Mackinac Island). Dr. Cederna-Meko also loves spending time with her family, who is scattered throughout northern and lower Michigan, as well as across the United States.
- Favorite musical group: Coldplay
- Favorite Great Lake: Lake Superior
- Favorite Great Lakes beach: Little Presque and Wetmore’s Landing (both beaches along the coastline of Lake Superior near Marquette, MI). “Lake Superior is my favorite Great Lake.”
- Favorite food in Flint: Anything from Badawest (Middle Eastern food, at 4019 Corunna Rd, Flint, Mich.), just a few miles away from Hurley.