- Director, Pediatric Residency Program, Hurley Medical Center
Associate Professor, Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Follow Dr. Hanna on Twitter at @monahannaa
- Undergraduate: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Medical school: Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich. (Flint campus for clinical years)
- Residency & Chief Residency: Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Mich.
- Graduate: University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Mona Hanna-Attisha MD MPH FAAP is director of Hurley’s Pediatric Residency Program. A Michigan native, Dr. Hanna-Attisha grew up in Royal Oak and first fell in love with Pediatrics while on the Flint Campus during her clinical years as a medical student at Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine.
After completing her residency and chief residency at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, she earned a master’s degree in Public Health, concentrating in Health Management and Policy, at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. Dr. Hanna-Attisha was an assistant professor at Wayne State University Department of Pediatrics and an associate director of the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Pediatric Residency Program prior to returning to Hurley.
In addition to educating the next generation of physicians, Dr. Hanna-Attisha now directs the Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital Public Health Initiative, an innovative and model public health program to research, monitor and mitigate the impact of lead in Flint’s drinking water.
Returning to Hurley
“I returned for many reasons: Its dedicated and renowned pediatric faculty, its energetic and committed residents, and the opportunity to improve pediatric public health in the greater Flint area,” said Dr. Hanna-Attisha.
- Quality of care
- Addressing disparities in care
- Health policy and advocacy
- Pediatric education – especially the incorporation of technology and online education.
- 2015-2017 (a selection): Medscape’s list of Best Physicians in the World for 2016; TIME 100 Influential Person of the Year; Crain’s Detroit Business 100 Most Influential Women, Health Care Hero; Michigan State Medical Society Public Health Leadership Award; American Pediatric Association Michael Shannon Research Award; Children’s Environmental Health Network Community Child Health Advocate Award; National ATHENA Leadership Award; Michigan State University College of Human Medicine William Weil Jr Endowed Distinguished Pediatric Faculty Award; Michigan State University Inspirational Woman of the Year Award; Ridenhour Prize for Truth-Telling Award; National Center for Health Research Health Policy Hero Award; National Head Start Hero Award; Chaldean Chamber of Commerce Humanitarian of the Year Award; PEN America Freedom of Expression Courage Award; American Academy of Pediatrics Presidential Award.
Dr. Hanna-Attisha’s husband, Elliott, is a pediatrician in Detroit. Both Mona and Elliott maintain that their best pediatric teachers are their two little girls.
- Dr. Hanna among best in world, says Medscape (Hurley GME blog)
- Dr. Hanna named leader of Pediatric Public Health Initiative
- Read USA Today article about Dr. Hanna-Attisha and Flint’s water problem
- 7 things you probably don’t know about Dr. Hanna (Flint Journal article)
- Hanna-Attisha wins $5000 for kids on ‘Millionaire’ TV show