- Director, Pediatric Residency Program, Hurley Medical Center
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Follow Dr. Hanna on Twitter at @monahannaa
- Undergraduate: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Medical school: Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich. (Flint campus for clinical years)
- Residency & Chief Residency: Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Mich.
- Graduate: University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Mona Hanna-Attisha MD MPH FAAP is director of Hurley’s Pediatric Residency Program. A Michigan native, Dr. Hanna-Attisha grew up in Royal Oak and first fell in love with Pediatrics while on the Flint Campus during her clinical years as a medical student at Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine.
After completing her residency and chief residency at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, she earned a master’s degree in Public Health, concentrating in Health Management and Policy, at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. Dr. Hanna-Attisha was an assistant professor at Wayne State University Department of Pediatrics and an associate director of the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Pediatric Residency Program prior to returning to Hurley.
In addition to educating the next generation of physicians, Dr. Hanna-Attisha now directs the Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital Public Health Initiative, an innovative and model public health program to research, monitor and mitigate the impact of lead in Flint’s drinking water.
Returning to Hurley
“I returned for many reasons: Its dedicated and renowned pediatric faculty, its energetic and committed residents, and the opportunity to improve pediatric public health in the greater Flint area,” said Dr. Hanna-Attisha.
- Quality of care
- Addressing disparities in care
- Health policy and advocacy
- Pediatric education – especially the incorporation of technology and online education.
- Director, Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital Pediatric Public Health Initiative
- Board member, Michigan Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Board Member, Oakland Health Plan
- Honorary Medical Director, YMCA Camp Copneconic
- 2015 recipient of the William B Weil Jr MD Endowed Distinguished Pediatric Faculty Award from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Faculty inductee of the Gold Humanism Honor Society, which recognizes individuals who are exemplars of humanistic patient care and who can serve as role models, mentors, and leaders in medicine
- Faculty inductee of Alpha Omega Alpha, which recognizes and advocates for excellence in scholarship and the highest ideals in the profession of medicine
Dr. Hanna-Attisha’s husband, Elliott, is also a pediatrician. Working with Henry Ford Health System and the Children’s Health Fund, he provides school-based and mobile pediatric care to Detroit’s underserved children http://www.childrenshealthfund.org/blog/faces-field-dr-elliott-attisha. Both Mona and Elliott maintain that their best pediatric teachers are their two little girls: 9-year-old Nina and 7-year-old Layla.