Management of the Chronic Opioid User
Original Release Date: 6/30/2017 and Expiration Date: 6/30/2020
Re-Release Date: 11/15/2020
Enduring Material Author:
Cara Poland, MD, M.Ed., FASAM
- Lead Physician, Center for Integrative Medicine
- Spectrum Health Medical Group, Grand Rapids
- President, Michigan Society of Addiction Medicine
The author does not have a relevant relationship with a commercial interest. (Click here to view the Faculty Disclosure form.)
- Video (90 minutes)
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Define categories of pain and their causes
- Identify evidence for chronic opioid treatment for chronic pain
- Understand the interplay between pain and addiction, including treatment of pain and addiction
- Ability to identify adjuvant options for pain management other than opioids
Instructions for Participation
- Start Here to register and complete the CME activity.
- Note: Plan for ninety minutes of committed time. If you exit the activity before completion, you must begin again.
- Take the pre-test, view the material, and complete the post-test.
- Complete the evaluation and receive your CME certificate.
Hardware / Software Requirements
PDF: To view the material in a portable document file (PDF) format, you will need a PDF reader, which you can download for free at Nitro Reader or Adobe Reader (or from your App store if you are using a mobile device).
VIDEO: To view the material in video format, you will need Adobe Flash player, which you can download for free from Adobe Flash (or from your App store if you are using a mobile device). You may need speakers or headphones to hear the audio.
Hurley Medical Center is accredited by the Michigan State Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Hurley Medical Center designates this Internet enduring material activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Primary Care Physicians, Specialists, Allied Health Professionals, and Residents within the state of Michigan and its bordering states of Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio only.
Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
To view, click here.
2020 Hurley Medical Center. All rights reserved.
Provider Contact Information
Hurley Medical Center, Institute for Continuing Medical Education, One Hurley Plaza, Flint, MI
Phone 810-262-9142, Fax 810-760-9956, or Email ContactCME@hurleymc.com
Planning Committee Members –
Elmahdi Saeed, MD, Diane Welker, NP, Jennifer Godlesky, MLIS and Michelle Landis do not have a relevant financial relationship with a commercial interest.
Susumu Inoue, MD, Elmahdi Saeed, MD, Omari Young, MD, Diane Welker, NP, Jennifer Godlesky, MLIS, and Julia Moses do not have a relevant financial relationship with a commercial interest. Hemant Thawani, MD, has a relevant financial relationship with Pfizer as Grant/Research Support and has recused himself from reviewing and approving this CME activity, due to the content of the educational topic.
The Mechanism to Resolve Conflict of Interest of a relevant financial relationship with the educational topic by planning committee members and/or reviewers of the CME activity would be resolved by not allowing the planning, reviewing, and approving of the CME activity.