Internal Medicine, Graduating Class of 2021
- Medical school: Shifa College of Medicine – Shifa Tameer-e-Millat University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Why did you come to Michigan?
I came in 2016 because my spouse lives here.
Why did you choose your specialty?
I was intrigued by the holistic approach to a patient: mental, physical, emotional, physiological and psychosocial. Specifically how a disease would manifest in every aspect of a human's life.
- My family lives between Canada and Pakistan. My husband's name is Salman, and we have a vibrant, full-of-energy 3-year-old toddler, Aliza.
When you're not working, what do you do for fun?
- I hike, photograph and try to spend quality time doing things my daughter loves.
What do you love about Hurley and Mid-Michigan?
- Hurley: I feel diversity and acceptance at Hurley has completely changed how I felt before joining. The anxiety and hesitance was converted to comfort and sense of ease.
- Mid-Michigan: Mid-Michigan has the perfect blend of state parks, beautiful lakeside areas and open space.
What inspires you?
Exploration and continued discovery. The nature offers endless possibilities which are yet to be unraveled.
Balancing out the constant guilt of leaving your child and the passion to pursue medicine. It has been a roller-coaster ride. My biggest support was family and my amazing female coworkers who are in a similar situation as me. Their strength, beauty and resilience has kept me sane. We all feel like we are in this together.
What do you miss most about home?
The food, culture and celebrating our traditions. I try to call them frequently.
- Book: Harry Potter
- Film: V for Vendetta
- Music: Indie
No religion is higher than humanity. Spoken by one of the greatest philanthropists in Pakistan, by Abdul Sattar Edhi.
Top 5 Favs about Flint/Michigan?
- Adjoining lakes
- Open spaces
- Boat rides
Biggest surprise about working at Hurley?
They are much more informed about our culture than I expected.
I used to play soccer.
Favorite ways to keep work-life balance manageable?
When I feel overwhelmed, I completely shut down my mind from thinking about work. I go out for a walk, have a nice meal at a restaurant, talk to my family. I always pray before I sleep. It soothes me the most.