Despite the worldwide pandemic, scholarly activity remains steady among Hurley Medical Center-affiliated faculty and resident physicians, with 28 unique individuals contributing to 10 scholarly works.
Areas studied include: postvaccination COVID-19 infection among healthcare workers, artificial intelligence vs routine colonoscopy for colorectal neoplasia, cascade effects of a large hiatal hernia, commentary about "The American Promise," indicator for increased mortality and morbidity in burn patients, anti-thrombic therapy to manage CAD and Afib, improving pediatric advanced airway management in the ED, persistent viremia an an immunococompetent patient with an inherited chromsome abnormality (ciHHV6), diagnostic considerations for gout, and a statewide quality collaboration to improve antibiotic duration and outcomes of patients hospitalized with CAP.
The scholarly work - published in November and December of 2021 - came from many specialties and subspecialties at Hurley: Cardiology, Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Geriatrics, Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Public Health, Surgery, Trauma, and others.
Here are the citations for the recent publications with Hurley-affiliates in bold.
- Chandan S, Khan SR, Deliwala S, Mohan B, Ramai D, Chandan O, Facciorusso A
Postvaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection among healthcare workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Med Virol. 2021 Nov 15. PMID: 34783055
- Deliwala SS, Hamid K, Barbarawi M, Lakshman H, Zayed Y, Kandel P, Malladi S, Singh A, Bachuwa G, Gurvits G, Chawla S. Artificial intelligence (AI) real-time detection vs. routine colonoscopy for colorectal neoplasia: A meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. International Journal of Colorectal Disease. 2021;36(11):2291-2303.
- Deliwala S, Hussain M, Ponnapalli A, Bachuwa G, Gurvits GE. Black oesophagus, upside-down stomach and cameron lesions: cascade effects of a large hiatal hernia. BMJ Case Rep. 2021 Nov 12;14(11):e246496. PMID: 34772683
- Hanna-Attisha M, O'Connell L, Reyes G, Reynolds L. The American Promise. Acad Pediatr. 2021 Nov-Dec;21(8S):S94-S96. PMID: 34740435. Available at HMC: https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!...
- Jenkins P, Al Daoud F, Mercer L, Scholten D, Wong K, Perinjelil V, Majeske K, Cranford J, Elian G, Nigam T, Carto C, Sachwani-Daswani GR. The Presence of Nucleated Red Blood Cells as an Indicator for Increased Mortality and Morbidity in Burn Patients. Journal of Burn Care & Research 2021;42(6):1210-1214. Available online at: https://academic.oup.com/jbcr/...
- Malladi S, Hamid K, Pendyala NC, Veerapaneni V, Deliwala S, Dubre D, Elian S, Singh A. Management of stable coronary artery disease and atrial fibrillation with anti-thrombotic therapy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine 2021;100(48).
- Mustafa M, Lutfi R, Alsaedi H, Castelluccio P, Pearson KJ, Montgomery EE, Nitu ME, Abulebda K, Abu-Sultaneh S. Improvement of Pediatric Advanced Airway Management in General Emergency Departments After a Collaborative Intervention Program. Respir Care. 2021 Dec;66(12):1866-1875. PMID: 34670860
- Obeid M, Gakhal I, McDonald P. Persistent viremia in an immunocompetent patient with inherited chromosomally integrated HHV-6B. Access microbiology 2021;3(8):000256-000256.
Available online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p...
- Tessema S, Mahgoub A, Nakhleh R. Gout gone awry: The importance of proper diagnosis. Clin Case Rep. 2021 Dec 16;9(12):e05201. PMID: 34963804. Available online at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.co...
- Vaughn VM, Gandhi TN, Hofer TP, Petty LA, Malani AN, Osterholzer D, Dumkow LE, Ratz D, Horowitz JK, McLaughlin ES, Czilok T, Flanders SA. A Statewide Collaborative Quality Initiative to Improve Antibiotic Duration and Outcomes of Patients Hospitalized With Uncomplicated Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Nov 13. PMID: 34791085
Jennifer Godlesky of the Hurley Medical Library contributed to this blog.