Anju Sawni MD
- Associate Professor, Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
- Director, Adolescent Medicine, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
Health professionals nationwide may best know Anju Sawni MD for her chapter on ADD in the Expert Consult book, Integrative Medicine, but at Hurley Medical Center, this Toronto native is best known for her good humor, hard work, and love of good books. And her love of children, both her own and her patients.
“I’ve always wanted to be a pediatrician,” she said, adding that she especially enjoys adolescent medicine. “They have unique needs. They’re not children, but they’re not adults either. … Adolescence is a time of huge change: physical, cognitive and psychosocial, with peer pressure that can lead some teens toward risky behavior.”
Gaining trust with this age group is essential in order to influence their health-related behaviors. Dr. Sawni knows how to navigate the typical well-teen visits and that cover immunizations, nutrition, physical fitness, acne, and other teen concerns. But she also addresses more challenging issues of eating disorders, emotional concerns, behavioral problems, sexual identitiy, and the like. And her medical students and residents improve their skills and comfort level with this age group, too.
- Bachelor-of-science degree: University of Western Ontario, London-Ontario, Canada
- Medical degree: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
- Pediatric residency: Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Mich.
- Adolescent Medicine fellowship: North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, N.Y.
- Adolescent Medicine
Committee Assignments & Administrative Services
- Member, Pediatric Education Committee, Hurley Medical Center
- Member, Institutional Review Board, Hurley Medical Center
- Faculty Interviewer for Medical School Admission, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Community Clerkship Director, Flint Area Medical Education Core Competency Curriculum / virtuous physician curriculum, MSU CHM
- Listed as “Top Doc” - Hour Magazine, multiple years
- Teaching Award - Pediatric Faculty, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Semifinalist - New Investigator Award, Society for Adolescent Health & Medicine
Professional Positions, Memberships and Activities
- Medical Director, Genesee Intermediat School District
- Member, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, Society for Adolescent Health & Medicine
- Member, Michigan Association of Indian Physicians
- Manuscript reviewer, Academic Pediatrics
- Manuscript reviewer, JAMA Pediatrics
- Manuscript reviewer, Pediatarics
- Integrative Medicine article reviewer, Pediatrics in Review
- Board-exam reviewer, Pediatrics in Review