- Internal Medicine Residency
- Transitional Year Residency
Where are you from originally?
I am from Flint Township/Swartz Creek, Michigan, so basically, I'm from around here.
About living in Michigan
I chose to stay in Michigan because it was the most economical choice, as of right now. Also, I grew up here, and all of my job experiences has been within the City of Flint. I appreciate the opportunity to give back to the place where I am from.
- Bachelor-of-science degree in health administration, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
- Diploma, Carman Ainsworth High School, Flint, Mich.
What do you like most about working with resident physicians?
I appreciate the friendliness of the residents. I think their positive attitudes help me give my best effort in supporting them and helps us problem-solve better as a group.
Currently, I am living with my parents, brother, and our naughty puppy named Jasper (he's the cutest). I also have a huge extended family who I see often.
When you're not working, what do you do for fun?
When I am not working, I am reading or exercising. I also like to go to brunch with my friends.
I really like the team I am a part of at Hurley. Everyone seems motivated to do the best they can, and they are very helpful and supportive. I know that if I don't know something, there is someone that is willing to help - even if it's pointing me in the direction of someone more equipped.
I am inspired by my passion to be happy. I prioritize my needs so I can perform better at work and in my everyday life.
My toughest challenge in achieving my goals was my perfectionism. My perfectionism would cause me to freeze versus act. I solved this by being more objective about my work and taking more incremental approaches to my work and other challenges.
- Book: I am an avid reader, so picking a favorite book is very hard. For now, my favorite books are The Inheritance of Orquidia Divina and A Man Called Ove.
- Coffee shop: Biggby or Café Rhema.
- TV shows: Arcane, Remarriage and Desires, Kakegurui, and Mine
I have lived a thousand lives and I have loved a thousand loves. I've walked on distant worlds and seen the end of time. Because I read. ~George R.R Martin
I like this quote not only because I love to read, but also because I think reading makes me aware of different perspectives which helps me keep an open mind and remain empathetic. I think the world we live in can cause us to become desensitized, and reading helps me to maintain radical empathy.
Top 5 things about Flint and Michigan
- The Farmers Market (I go there like once a week, literally the best thing ever)
- Mackinaw Island
- Autumn. Something about being in the Midwest during the fall is so different from other places.
- Outside recreational activities (lakes, parks etc)
- Big John Steak and Onion/ Flint Style Coney, Little Caesar's Stromboli
Biggest surprise about working at Hurley
To be honest, nothing was really surprising about Hurley to me. I really appreciate how relaxed Hurley is while still being professional.
Special talents & hobbies
- Some special talents/hobbies
- I can read music (I used to play Alto sax). I hope to use this skill more now that I have more free time. I may try and learn another instrument.
- I like to journal and write. I try to journal whenever I have ideas monopolizing space in my brain.
- I like gardening. I want to improve this skill, so I can grow my own food. Having a food forest is a dream of mine.
Most impactful advice you've ever received
Slow down; you don't need to have it all figure out right now. Live in the present.
Favorite ways to keep work-life balance manageable
I get up around 4:30-5:00 am and go for a morning jog. In the summer, I'll go outside, but in the fall/winter, I'll get on the treadmill. I also play the Sims 4 to decompress from a long day.