- Infectious Diseases Specialist, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Director of Infectious Diseases, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Mich.
Since 2015, Dr. Osterholzer has proven her value as an outstanding educator and infectious diseases specialist in Internal Medicine at Hurley Medical Center, where she occasionally fills in as a pediatric infectious disease specialist, too, thanks to her triple board certification in pediatrics, internal medicine, and infectious diseases.
She is super popular among resident physicians and medical students, who quickly discover that she is passionate about HIV care and antimicrobial stewardship. She gives annual HIV updates to students and residents and is an oft-requested lecturer to medical professionals in the Midwest region.
This calm, level-headed faculty member also helps to guide individual residents as their mentor and also guides the institution in best practices related to infection control and therapeutics by leading several internal committees and serving as the hospital’s representative on the state level. Her education and past experience have well prepared her for these leadership positions
But Dr. Osterholzer is not all work, no play. When Dr. O is not investigating pseudomonas or other bugs, she may be found hanging out with her husband and their three children. She and her husband are both Flint natives, so they know some of the best places to go for family activities. Dr. O often may be seen watching, playing or coaching her daughters’ sports teams, particularly softball. This die-hard MSU Spartan fan also enjoys walking the family’s mini-golden doodle, Lucy, with her family.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Zoology: Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
- Medical Degree: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Mich.
- Internship & Residency: Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Training Program, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Infectious Diseases Fellowship: Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Indianapolis, Ind.
Academic Positions at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich., and Michigan State University
- Core teaching faculty, Infectious Diseases Inpatient Consult Services, Internal Medicine and Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency-training programs
- Core teaching faculty, Infectious Diseases Outpatient Clinic, Internal Medicine and Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency-training programs
- Resident Research Advisor, Internal Medicine Residency-Training Program
- Faculty Mentor for Quality Improvement Projects, Internal Medicine Residency-Training Program
- Faculty Mentor (general), Internal Medicine Residency-Training Program
- Faculty lecturer, Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
- Core Lecturer-Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine and Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency-Training Programs
- Member, Clinical Competency Committee, Internal Medicine Residency-Training Program
- Member, Program Evaluation Committee, Internal Medicine Residency-Training Program
- Clerkship Lecturer, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Ob/Gyn Clerkship
Other Service at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Director, Infectious Diseases
- Director, Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Chair, Hospital Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Hurley physician lead on the Michigan Hospital Medicine Safety Consortium
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Infectious Diseases Board
- American Academy of HIV Medicine HIV Specialist
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Infant mortality related to HIV
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to Midwest AIDS Training and Education Center (MATEC), Chicago, IL to Wishard Memorial Hospital, MATEC-Indiana Local Performance Site. Medical Director, 2011-2013
- Department of Health and Human Services to Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County, Ryan White Part C, Medical Directorship, 2008-2013
- Department of Health and Human Services to Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County, Title XXVI HIV Health Care Services Program 1, 2. Ryan White Part A, Emergency Relief for Areas with substantial Need for Service, HIV Quality Management Program Indianapolis Transitional Grant Area. Co-Director, 2008-2009; Director, 2009-2013
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) to Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County to Indiana University, Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR)/HIV Prevention Methodology. Principal Investigator, 2009-2012
- Nominee, Trailblazer Award, Indiana Minority AIDS Coalition’s Courage to Live Awards Gala, 2013
- Tony and Mary Hulman Health Achievement Award in the field of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Indiana Public Health Foundation, Indianapolis, Ind., 2012
- Outstanding Young Clinician Award, Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, 2012
- Teaching Faculty of the Year Award (chosen by Med/Peds residents), Indiana University School of Medicine Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Program, 2010-2011
- IDSA Fellow Travel Grant for oral presentation, 2008
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- HIV Medicine Association
- Fellow American Academy of Pediatrics
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- Fellow American College of Physicians
- Michigan Infectious Disease Society
Scholarly Activity (recent)
- Zayed Y, Swaid B, Gupta R, Haykal T, Osterholzer D. Unrecognized Staphylococcal Vertebral Osteomyelitis and Epidural Abscess Leading to Meningitis, Infective Endocarditis, Cerebrovascular Accident, Sepsis and Death in a Previously Healthy Patient. Clinical Case Reports. Accepted for pub Sept 2018.
- Vaughn V, Flanders S, Chopra V, Conlan A, Malani A, Srinivasan A, Nagel J, Kaatz S, Osterholzer D, Thyagarajan R, Hsaiky L, Gandhi T. Excess Antibiotic Duration in Patients Hospitalized with Pneumonia: A Multi-Hospital Cohort Study. JAMA Int Med - submitted 10/2017- under review.
- Chung E, Beeler C, Muloma E, Osterholzer D, Damer K, Erdman S. Development and implementation of a pharmacist-managed outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy (OPAT) program in a county teaching hospital. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2016 Jan 1; 73(1):e24-33. PMID: 26683676
- Osterholzer D, Goldman M. Dolutegravir: A Next Generation Integrase Inhibitor for Treatment of HIV Infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Apr 9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24723281
- Conant M, Erdman S, Muloma E, Osterholzer D. Mandatory Infectious Diseases Approval of Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT): Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Averted Cases - J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014 Feb 13. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24532684
- Osterholzer D. The role of Etravirine in the Management of Treatment-Experienced Pediatric Patients with HIV. HIV/AIDS - Research and Palliative Care. 2013 Apr 10; 5:67-73. PMID: 23610529
Abstracts, oral/poster presentations:
- Evaluation of Broad-Spectrum Antibiotic De-Escalation in Patients with Health-Care Associated Pneumonia (HCAP) and No Microbiological Diagnosis. Oral Presentation, ID Week Meeting, October 3th-7th, 2018, San Francisco, CA.
- Petty LA, Conlon A, Vaughn VM, Nielsen D, Kaye KS, Malani AN, Thyagarajan R, Osterholzer D, Eschenauer G, Flanders SA, Gandhi T. Patient- and Hospital-Level Factors and Outcomes Associated with Treatment of Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in Hospitalized Patients: A Multi-Hospital Cohort Study. Poster presentation, ID Week Meeting, October 3th-7th, 2018, San Francisco, CA.
- Petty LA, Patel TS, Conlon A, Nielsen D, Vaughn VM, Kaye KS, Malani AN, Osterholzer D, Thyagarajan R, Flanders SA, Gandhi T. Step-Down Therapy with Oral Fluoroquinolones vs Beta-Lactams for Hospitalized Adult Patients with Community Acquired Pneumonia: A Multi-Hospital Cohort Study. Poster presentation, ID Week Meeting, October 3th-7th, 2018, San Francisco, CA.
- Vaughn V., Flanders S, Chopra V, Conlan A, Malani A, Srinivasan A, Nagel J, Kaatz S, Osterholzer D, Thyagarajan R, Hsaiky L, Gandhi T. Excess Antibiotic Duration in Patients Hospitalized with Pneumonia: A Multi-Hospital Cohort Study. Poster presentation, Michigan Hospital Medicine Society, Quarterly meeting, Nov 14th, 2017. Eagle Eye Resort, Bath, MI.
- Upadhaya S, Osterholzer D. From Face to Meninges: A Case of Primary Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Meningitis from a Hidden Facial Lesion. Poster Presentation, Michigan Chapter of American College of Physicians (ACP) Residents’ Day, May 5th, 2017, Sterling Heights, MI.
- Sharma R, Osterholzer D. Bilateral Facial Nerve Palsy Prompting a New HIV Diagnosis. Poster Presentation, Michigan Chapter of American College of Physicians (ACP) Residents’ Day, May 22nd, 2015, Marriott Hotel, Troy, MI.
- Abraham S, Usoro A, Ali S, Sibai J, Osterholzer D. Candida albicans Vertebral Osteomyelitis in an Intravenous Drug User. Abstract accepted to Michigan Chapter of American College of Physicians (ACP) Residents’ Day, May 9th, 2014, Detroit, MI.
Peer-reviewed online educational materials:
- Crumby A, Cox E, Osterholzer D, Duwve J. Information for Medical Providers: One Test Two Lives: Prevent HIV Indiana Website. www.1test2lives.in.gov. March 2013.