Rebecca Ellens (she/her/hers)
Dr. Ellens started her career at Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit, Mich. where she worked within pediatric urology and pediatric pain subspecialties. In 2018, Dr. Ellens joined Hurley Medical Center. Currently, Dr. Ellens is the Associate Director of the Pediatric Psychology Fellowship Program at Hurley Medical Center. She supervises clinical training provided at the Hurley Children's Clinic, Advanced Neuropsychology and Pediatric Psychology Services, and Hurley Children's Hospital. Dr. Ellens also provides didactics across a range of topics spanning pediatric psychology, evidence-based practice, leadership, wellness, and EDI.
Clinically, Dr. Ellens helps children and families cope with chronic medical conditions & physical symptoms. Whether families are at the hospital, visiting their physician in primary care, or coming to the outpatient therapy office, Dr. Ellens helps children and teens learn the skills needed to successfully adjust to health-related challenges. Dr. Ellens believes that every child experiences stressors in a unique way and that treatment must be tailored.
Dr. Ellens also holds an academic appointment within Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine, is the Co-Director of Pediatric Education Research for the Pediatric Residency Program at Hurley Medical Center, and serves on hospital and university-based committees that support scholarship.
- Bachelor-of-arts degree, psychology & political science: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Master-of-arts degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Doctoral degree, clinical psychology: University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Predoctoral internship, clinical psychology: Wayne State University at Hawthorn Center, Northville, Mich.
- Post-doctoral pediatric psychology fellowship: Michigan State University at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
- Clinical training
- Health promotion and behavior change
- Coping with chronic medical conditions
- Somatic symptoms, chronic pain, and conversion disorder; functional symptoms
- Equity, diversity, & inclusion
- Quality improvement and clinical research
Outside of work, Dr. Ellens enjoys being outside (when it is warm!), trying new recipes, and spending time with her family, friends and dog.
- Favorite food: Chocolate
- Favorite season: Summer
- Favorite vacation spot: Anywhere with good friends, good food, and a beautiful view
- Favorite activities: Hiking & gardening