To support the knowledge-based information needs of Hurley Medical Center’s clinicians, administrators, employees, corporate affiliates, patients and their families with current resources; thus supporting Hurley Medical Center’s mission of “Clinical Excellence Service to People.”
Goals and Objectives
The vision of the Michael H. and Robert M. Hamady Health Sciences Library is based on the following goals:
- Education/ Training: Increase opportunities for Hurley staff to utilize information technology to improve patient care and to support having successful outcomes for patient safety, research and board-review scores.
- Outreach: Extension of library services and resources to off-campus locations of clinics and to physicians.
- Maintenance and expansion of traditional and virtual library services and resources.
- Recruitment and retention of skilled library staff members.
- A Hurley Medical Center identification badge is needed to access the library and to sign out materials.
- Patients and their families may request information for in-house delivery or mail.
Full Range of Services Available to Physicians, Staff, and Students at Hurley
- Searching assistance. Clinical searches available upon request.
- Centralized access to health science databases as well as to books and journals that support clinical practice and research.
- Interlibrary loan and document delivery.
- Remote access to library resources.
- Special assistance for: research, presentations, continuing medical education, patient care, patient/family education.
- Instruction, by appointment, on literature-search techniques in general and in OvidSP and PubMed in particular.
- Required for 24-hour access
Library Computer Resources Available on Walk-up Basis
- 14 computer stations
- Wireless access available
- Laptops / wireless devices with wireless cards can connect to the Internet using GuestNet. Access to the secure wireless must be set up by IT Department.
- Two conference rooms with computer and presentation equipment.
- Copy machine
- Charging station for cell phones, tablets, etc.
- More than 1000 titles in print book collection
The Hamady Health Sciences Library at Hurley Medical Center is a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, an initiative of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, the Medical Library Association, Michigan Health Sciences Library Association and the Metropolitan Detroit Medical Library Group.