Trauma Surgery Fellowship Graduating Class of 2022
Where are you from originally?
- Medical School: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- General Surgery Residency: St. Joseph of Mercy, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Critical Care Fellowship: University of Michigan, Mich.
I am a Michigan lifer! I stayed in Michigan because the training offered is excellent, and I wanted to stay close to family.
Why did you choose your specialty?
A. I chose General Surgery because:
- I enjoy working with my hands and with my mind
- This specialty gives the physician the ability to fix an acute problem and cure a given disease process
- General surgeons have ownership of the entire patient under their care.
B. Critical care was the next choice, given that I enjoy human physiology and the minute-to-minute care of the critically ill patient.
C. Trauma was the next choice because it combined what I like about both general surgery and critical care.
I am married to another physician who is finishing up her general surgery residency. We have a son, Teddy, who is less than a year old and he is the joy of our lives!
When you're not working, what do you do for fun?
Host dinner parties, play the piano, play board games, and I am an aspiring woodworker!
About the Flint area:
I haven't had a chance to explore much, but am looking forward to getting to know more about the surrounding area!
What inspires you?
How do you keep in touch with family and friends?
I have a list of people to call and when I've called them last. I use the commute to keep in touch.
- Book: The Chronicles of Narnia
- Movie: Ocean's Eleven
- Music: Beethoven
- Restaurant: Wendy's
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
I enjoy the quote as it emphasizes the importance of attitude in life.
Top 5 favorite things about Michigan?
- Family being close by
- Lake Michigan!
- Small upstate lakes
- Cost of living is affordable
- Ann Arbor has great concerts that come into town
I am a former serious pianist who still enjoys playing. I enjoy the attention to detail that is required and that hard work is rewarded. I used to be a high jumper, but have since retired. I enjoyed the teamwork the camaraderie of being on a team; surgery is a big team sport.
Favorite ways to keep work-life balance manageable:
I try to do one thing for myself every day and make sure to keep in touch with family.