Graduate Medical Education
READ the Hurley GME Blog to see the latest happenings in our programs.
SEE the Hurley GME FAQs to find out what's new at Hurley and to find answers to the most common questions.
Hurley's graduate medical education, training and research programs provide an exceptional opportunity to serve and learn from one of Michigan’s largest and most diverse patient populations.
Also, on this page, take a look at:
- Our multidisciplinary education schedule, which typically includes one session per block for all of Hurley’s residency and fellowship training programs combined.
- Our photo galleries, which give a sense of our learning and work spaces, as well as our lounging and eating areas and patient rooms.
If you are:
- A former Hurley learner or employee and need a verification of your training or insurance coverage while at Hurley, here's who to contact:
- Insurance verification: Contact Christine Wirt of Hurley Risk Management by email.
- Training verification for Hurley Nursing School students: See the Hurley Nursing Alumni web page.
- Training verification for Hurley Nurse Anesthesia students: See the University of Michigan-Flint Registrar web page.
- Training verification for Hurley resident physicians and fellows: See your former program's web page.
- Employment verification for Hurley employees: See the Hurley Human Resources Department web page.
- A business verifying an employee/learner's insurance, training, or employment, please use the above contact information as well.
- A medical student inquiring about rotations at Hurley, contact see the clinical elective clerkshops page of our affiliated medical school, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
- A hospital, college, university, or other institution inquiring about an affiliation agreement, email Hurley Academic Affairs.
Hurley = Clinical Excellence
#111 in the world
Hurley is ranked #1 in Michigan, #40 in the U.S., and #111 in the world as Best Smart Hospital, per Newsweek and Statista Inc. We maximize electronic medical records and can share with hospitals in 50 states.
As a Children's Hospital since 2011, Hurley has the region's only Peds ER, Peds ICU, Peds Burn Unit, and is the highest level NICU in the region. More than 11,000 kids visit our outpatient clinic per year.
Opioid use disorder clinic
Hurley's Medication for Opioid Use Disorder Clinic opened in the Hurley ED in 2021 to help people with their disorder and to save lives. Opioid ODs kill ~5 Michiganders per day.
Chief Academic Officer Jim Buterakos
On Teamwork in GME
Jim Buterakos, chief academic officer and designated institutional official at Hurley Medical Center, talks about how teamwork made all the difference during the pandemic, as training programs, clinical staff, educators, and residents and fellows had to adjust and adapt very quickly in order to save lives. Graduate Medical Education is an integral part of Hurley Medical Center.
Select any of the following links to learn more about Hurley Medical Center’s Graduate Medical Education Programs.
|Residency Training Programs||Fellowship Programs||Affiliated Training Programs|
|Combined Internal Medicine / Pediatrics||Pediatric Psychology||Emergency Medicine|
|Internal Medicine||Rehabilitation Psychology||Pediatric Dentistry|
|Obstetrics and Gynecology||Trauma||Pediatric Emergency Medicine|
Graduate Medical Education Combined Lecture Calendar
Here is the calendar for the GME 4th Monday-of-the Block Education for all residency and fellowship programs sponsored by Hurley Medical Center (and a few other educational events). The GME presentations are always mandatory for Hurley residents - and a few are mandatory for residents and fellows at Hurley, even if they're from a different institution. Select a single event for more details or to add it to your calendar. Or select the Google Calendar icon at bottom right to subscribe to the entire calendar. You can change the view to Week, Month, or Agenda by selecting a tab at the top.