Wellness resources for resident physicians
Self care: A necessary skill for health professionals
One of the skills that most adults need to learn is self-care. As resident physicians, this is especially important because residents sometimes work physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting schedules, which can be harmful to themselves and their ability provide professional patient care - and the effects may not show right away.
It takes time to learn these skills, and your individual training programs, as well as Hurley Medical Center itself, will give you many options to learn, practice and implement them. See below for some of the options.
However, what happens when you find yourself stuck and at your wit’s end? Or what if you are worried about a colleague who is showing signs of stress, burnout, depression, anxiety, exhaustion or other concerning signs?
If you are having a tough time – or notice a colleague is having a tough time – then it is time to take action – before you (or your colleague) suffer serious health setbacks.
The easiest way to get started is to contact Hurley’s Human Resource Department and talk to the Hurley Employee Advocate, who also coordinates the Employee Assistance Plan (EAP). She can direct you to the appropriate place to get help fast.
Or see the other options, below.
Harassment & Other Incidents
How to get help
Depression, anxiety, stress, burnout
You're never alone - you always have options. Under the U.S. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you can take time off if needed for your own health or to help a family member with health issues.
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- Hartford EAP: Open to those who enrolled in Hartford’s long-term disability plan (a benefit option for which you pay extra). Call the at 1-800-964-3577.
- Hurley's EAP (The first three visits are free.) Contact Hurley Mental Health Associates for confidential appointments (810-262-4996). Or complete an EAP Referral Form, available on Hurley’s intranet, in the Employee Resources’ tab > Forms > Online Forms > Printable Forms > EAP Referral Form.
Services through your own employee insurance plan
- Hurley’s counseling services at 810-262-4996.
- Contact your insurance company (see back of card for number) for a referral
- Contact or your primary care physician for a referral
State program (Confidential, records destroyed after 5 years)
- Contact Michigan’s Health Professional Recovery Program.
Online depression & burnout resources (free)
- Learn coping skills: Mood gym
- Free online therapy: 7 Cups of tea
- Cope with adverse patient outcomes
- Education on burnout
- Education on depression
- Help someone with depression
- Test yourself: Depression Screen
- Test yourself: Alcohol Use
- Test yourself: Mini Z Burnout Survey
- Test yourself: Compassion Fatigue, (a subscale of the ProQol Measure)
In crisis (available 24/7)
Sleep & Wellness
Hurley Institutional Wellness
Hurley GME Wellness
- 24-hour nap rooms (separate rooms for females, males)
- Call rooms
- Reimbursement for cab, Uber, Lyft ride home (one way, local) if too tired to drive home after a shift
- Brochure, lectures, strategies on sleep and well-being
- Fatigue-mitigation methods, monitoring self and others, and alertness management may be found in the GME Sleep Deprivation and Fatigue brochure
House Staff Association Wellness
Hurley resident physicians and fellows have their own association, and wellness is a priority. It offers:
- Work-life balance (help with family relations; physical health; and team-building activities such as soccer, volleyball, bowling, picnics, movies)
- Safe, ongoing forum for attending and resident interaction
Stay Well - Stay Safe
Online Sleep & Wellness Resources
- University of Pennsylvania’s positive psychology tools from the Authentic Happiness site
- University of Virginia’s SHUTi online insomnia tool (subscription required) - with free, online insomnia-checker
- Education on sleep - insomnia, jet lag, shift work, etc.
- Online sleep apps: Android & iPhone
- Education on mindfulness
- Relaxation techniques for stress relief
- Mini-relaxation exercises - immediate relief
- Office stretches
- 5-minute physical activity break - YouTube
- 5-minute office yoga workout - YouTube
- Simple self-care practices
- Test yourself: Sleepiness
- Test yourself: Happiness score & Life Satisfaction Report
- Test yourself: Mindfulness quiz
- Test yourself: Self-compassion scale
Policies related to wellness
- SP 0011 Hurley Non-Retaliation Policy
- SP 0176 Hurley Professional Staff Health & Wellness Policy
- SP 0035 Hurley Standard Practice: Family and Medical Leave Act
- SP 0300 Hurley Smoke-Free Healing Environment and Restricted Smoking Campus Policy
- SP 0387 Hurley Safe Workplace Policy
- SP 2805 Hurley Employee Assistance Program
- SP 2827 Hurley Standard Practice: Americans with Disabilities and Rehabilitation Act
- SP 2828 Hurley Equal Employment Opportunity/Non-Discrimination Policy (Title VII Policy)
- SP 2877 Hurley Standard Practice: Unlawful Harassment
- SP 2878 Hurley Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- SP 2879 Hurley Substance Abuse Policy
- SP 2880 Hurley Standard Practice: Voluntary Self-Referral to Employee Assistance Program, EAP
- SP D01 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Exception to Clinical Experience and Educational work Hour Limits
- SP D16 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Resident and Teaching Faculty: A Clinical Learning Environment Free from Threats, Intimidation, and Retaliation
- SP D19 Hurley GME Policy for Well-Being in Graduate Medical Education
- SP D27 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Resident Physician Clinical and Educational Work Hours Alertness Management and Fatigue Mitigation
- SP D33 Supervision Policy for Hurley Medical Center / Michigan state University Residency and Fellowship Training Programs
- SP D35 GME Transitions of Care and Hand-over Policy