Wellness resources for resident physicians
One of the skills that most adults need to learn is self-care. As resident physicians, this is especially important because residents sometimes work physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting schedules, which can be harmful to themselves and their ability provide professional patient care.
It takes time to learn these skills, and your individual training programs, as well as Hurley Medical Center itself, will give you many options to learn, practice and implement them. See below for some of the options.
However, what happens when you find yourself stuck and at your wit’s end? Or what if you are worried about a colleague who is showing signs of stress, burnout, depression, exhaustion or other concerning signs?
If you are having a tough time – or notice a colleague is having a tough time – then it is time to take action – before you (or your colleague) suffer serious health setbacks.
The easiest way to get started is to contact Hurley’s Human Resource Department and talk to the Hurley Employee Advocate, who also coordinates the Employee Assistance Plan (EAP). She can direct you to the appropriate place to get help fast.
Or read through other options, below.
Depression & Burnout
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) (The first three visits are free.)
- If you ARE enrolled in the Hartford’s long-term disability plan (a benefit option for which you pay extra),
- Call the Hartford Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) at 1-800-964-3577.
- If you ARE NOT enrolled in a long-term disability plan, do one of the following:
Counseling services through your own employee insurance plan
- Hurley’s counseling services at 810-262-4996.
- Non-Hurley counseling services
- Contact your insurance company (see back of card for number) for a referral
- Contact or your primary care physician for a referral
- Contact Hurley VP, Service Line Development for a referral to off-site counseling. (Your concerns will be held in the strictest confidence.)
State program (Confidential, records destroyed after 5 years)
- Contact Michigan’s Health Professional Recovery Program.
Online depression & burnout resources (free)
- Learn coping skills: Mood gym
- Free online therapy: 7 Cups of tea
- Cope with adverse patient outcomes
- Education on burnout
- Education on depression
- Help someone with depression
- Test yourself: Depression Screen
- Test yourself: Alcohol Use
- Test yourself: Mini Z Burnout Survey
- Test yourself: Compassion Fatigue, (a subscale of the ProQol Measure)
In crisis (available 24/7)
- Call 911
- Go to the ED 1-888-611-4462
- Call National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
- Use National Suicide Lifeline Crisis Chat
Harrassment & Other Incidents
- First try any of the 22 people listed in How to Raise Problems or Concerns
- Or contact Employee Advocate Dazarine Taylor by email or phone.
Sleep & Wellness
Hurley’s institutional wellness programs
- 24-hour fitness room, 6W rotunda
- 24-hour relaxation room, 6W rotunda (15-min limit)
- My Interactive Health online tools
- Exercise classes, nutrition classes and samples, chair massages (look in weekly Hurley Wellness emails for details)
- Contact Hurley’s Employee Wellness Department by email or phone
Hurley GME services
- Review the GME Sleep Deprivation and Fatigue brochure, which gives recommended alertness management and fatigue mitigation methods - and describes how to monitor and manage it when it does occur.
- Contact the Hurley GME office for more information about the following:
- 24-hour nap rooms (in Phil Dutcher Center, aka “BQ”; use call-room key – one nap room for females, one for males)
- Call rooms
- Too tired to drive home after a shift? Be safe:
- Call a cab
- Call Uber or Lyft
- GME will reimburse you for the cost of one-way transportation to a LOCAL (Flint area) address. Pay in advance, and turn in your receipt to your program coordinator.
- See Hurley GME’s online classroom, eGME, for information on stress, depression, wellness and more. Check this section:
- All GME > Other > Careers, Personal Development & Wellness
Hurley Resident Wellbeing Committee
- Work-life balance (help with family relations; physical health; and team-building activities such as soccer, volleyball, bowling, picnics, movies)
- Safe, ongoing forum for attending and resident interaction on issues and concerns brought forward by either group
Online Sleep & Wellness Resources
- University of Pennsylvania’s positive psychology tools from the Authentic Happiness site
- University of Virginia’s SHUTi online insomnia tool (subscription required) - with free, online insomnia-checker
- Education on sleep - insomnia, jet lag, shift work, etc.
- Online sleep apps: Android & iPhone
- Education on mindfulness
- Relaxation techniques for stress relief
- Mini-relaxation exercises - immediate relief
- Office stretches
- 5-minute physical activity break - YouTube
- 5-minute office yoga workout - YouTube
- Simple self-care practices
- Test yourself: Sleepiness
- Test yourself: Happiness score & Life Satisfaction Report
- Test yourself: Mindfulness quiz
- Test yourself: Self-compassion scale
Policies related to wellness
- SP 0011 Hurley Non-Retaliation Policy
- SP 0176 Hurley Professional Staff Health & Wellness Policy
- SP 0035 Hurley Standard Practice: Family and Medical Leave Act
- SP 0300 Hurley Smoke-Free Healing Environment and Restricted Smoking Campus Policy
- SP 0387 Hurley Safe Workplace Policy
- SP 2805 Hurley Employee Assistance Program
- SP 2827 Hurley Standard Practice: Americans with Disabilities and Rehabilitation Act
- SP 2828 Hurley Equal Employment Opportunity/Non-Discrimination Policy (Title VII Policy)
- SP 2877 Hurley Standard Practice: Unlawful Harassment
- SP 2878 Hurley Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- SP 2879 Hurley Substance Abuse Policy
SP 2880 Hurley Standard Practice: Voluntary Self-Referral to Employee Assistance Program, EAP
- SP D01 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Exception to Clinical Experience and Educational work Hour Limits
- SP D16 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Resident and Teaching Faculty: A Clinical Learning Environment Free from Threats, Intimidation, and Retaliation
- SP D19 Hurley GME Policy for Well-Being in Graduate Medical Education
- SP D27 Hurley GME Standard Practice: Resident Physician Clinical and Educational Work Hours Alertness Management and Fatigue Mitigation
- SP D33 Supervision Policy for Hurley Medical Center / Michigan state University Residency and Fellowship Training Programs
- SP D35 GME Transitions of Care and Hand-over Policy